Saturday 24 February 2007

Virtue of the Remix

First up I featured The Hype Machine - the website that first introduced me to the audio blogging world. Their top artists which is updated for every 3 day period was as of Sunday:

1. Arcade Fire
2. Modest Mouse
3. Feist
4. Of Montreal
5. The Police

I played Arcade Fire - No Cars Go live from Judson Memorial Church in NYC on 16th February from http://hearsay.alphaquam.com. Arcade Fire seem to have a weird thing going on with churches at the moment. Check out their video on their website for Neon Bible which is of them doing a rendition of Guns of Brixton by The Clash in St. John's Church, Westminster, London.

I moved swiftly on to Good Weather For Air Strike's Hotly Tipped For 2007 (part 1 and part 2). The vast majority of artists featured are Brit-acts but I picked out a band from Long Beach, California, Cold War Kids and played their song We Used To Vacation. In anticipation of Rich Cheetham's appearance on next week's show I then played another of Derek's hotly tipped bands Dead Disco and their single Automatic, who are on the High Voltage record label.

In my second bout behind the mixing desk I blew things out of the indie water by playing Phantom by Justice, an artist I featured heavily on last week's show as apart of the fast becoming dominant French electronica scene, and a track which is on Justice's new LP D.A.N.C.E. . I found it on Skull Juice a pair of bloggers who are affiliated with Casper C of Fluokids and the chap from Headphone Sex. The former of which is about to embark on a UK, France and Sweden tour with the rest of the fluo kids collective.

In response to Aaron Bradshaw's email from last week I followed up his recommendation of Palms Out Sounds which have Sample Wednesdays and Remix Sundays as a regular blog feature. From Remix Sunday: 48 I played Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Patrick Alavi Rerox) which we think probably is French. From Sample Wednesday 27: Daft Punk Harry and I discussed the virtue's of the remix and the sampling artist and highlighted electronica scepticism by playing Breakwater - Release The Beast which has been sampled heavily in Daft Punk's Robot Rock.

Finally, the product of a search for a great remix not done by a French man. Some 'throaty guitar goodness' from the man that successfully revitalised Daft Punk's Around The World. New Young Pony Club - Icecream (Van She Tech Remix) I found at Chazology: queue it up and hit repeat.

Until next week.

Andy

No comments: