Thursday 1 March 2007

Quick Fire...Week Three

Evenin' All,

Bit of a different format this week, with Rich from High Voltage in the studio presenting an informed view on this whole blogging thing. I was initially scared he was going to march in and shut us down for bankrupting his record label...lucky for us he was a thoroughly sound guy who had loads of interesting points to raise. So to Harry's week three...

First I tried to win approval with the appallingly-named We Smoke Fags with Eastenders found at www.headphonesex.co.uk; if it sounded any more like Terror by The Rakes it would actually have been Terror by The Rakes. On first listen I thought this track was great...on second listen, not so good. You win some, you lose some...I then tried with Somersault by Sky Larkin which was more successful (I could tell by Rich's head-nodding) but I think I was still the biggest fan of that particular track in the studio: find it at http://nothingbutgreenlights.net. They're supporting Los Campesinos on Sunday (04/03/07) in the Late Rooms so check them out on The Hype Machine...I would recommend the track One of Two next.

My last song with Rich still around was the new single by The Rakes - We Danced Together - remixed by SebAstian (from http://callmemickey.blogspot.com). As soon as the track started Rich let us know his dislike for all things Rakes so it was onto a loser from the start. No way near as good as the Klaxons Remix we aired in Week One but I think it's a great way of increasing the longevity of a great comeback single.

On entering the final part of the show I threw the proverbial kitchen sink at the mixing desk to win Andy's (and hopefully your) approval. The genius mash-up that was Crazy, As She Goes by The Raconteurs vs Gnarls Barkley (with a smattering of the Grandmaster Flash) got my final section off to a blinder. So many great covers and mash-ups of that track already but this is one of the best in my oh-so-humble opinion. Get it at http://myoldkyhome.blogspot.com.

I finished off with a live XFM session track, Dans Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - The Beat That My Heart Skipped, from http://thedailygrowl.blogspot.com, which was for anyone who loved Thou Shalt Not Kill from Week One. Not quite as immediate as that perhaps but give it a few spins and see if you don't love it.

Exit music this week was supplied by Los Campesinos for the second week running, with their ace track Sweet Dreams Sweet Cheeks, another fantastic offering for the Cardiff band who can do no wrong.

See you on Sunday at the Late Rooms...and for the final Anablogue Radio Show. At least 15% better than every other radio show you'd care to mention.

Harry x

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Harry, I think Rich's comment re: The Rakes track was "polish a turd".